Get In Shape For The New Year
By Keiko Arzouman, In-Shape
You’ve just made your New Years resolutions list for 2016, and at the top of that list is getting in shape. Gaining strength, losing weight, and toning doesn’t just stem from a balanced and nutritious diet. Though eating right is crucial, a proper fitness routine is very important when seeking results.
We understand that getting to the gym and keeping a regular workout routine can be daunting and difficult to balance among your busy day-to-day responsibilities. That is why we came up with five simple actions to take to help you get in shape and stay in shape for the New Year!
1. Set a goal: Whether it is a number on the scale or a half marathon, setting a short term goal can help motivate you to continue with your workouts. Create a print out of that goal and put it on your dresser, door, refrigerator, or anywhere that may help remind of you of what you are working towards.
2. Find a buddy: Research has shown that working out with a partner will keep you motivated and accountable, helping you reach your goals faster. You will also have a more fun and enjoyable workout as you catch up and gossip about the latest episode of Scandal.
3. Mark your calendar: Treat your workout like any other commitment you may have in your life. Pencil it in your calendar or set a reminder on your phone, so you don’t miss that cycling class or daily jog around the neighborhood.
4. Start small: Its very easy to give up quickly when you do too much too fast. If you haven’t hit the gym in a while, a 60-minute run on the treadmill may not be the best idea. Try walking at a fast pace for 30-minutes and building up to that 60-minute run!
5. Incorporate variety: Doing the same thing over and over again can end up being discouraging and cause you to burn out. Switch up your workouts! It may be designating each day of the week to a different muscle group or just a simple switch of trying out new ways to get your heart pumping.
Give these five simple steps a try this new year and share your progress with In-Shape! We want to see how you are exploring your In-Shape Attitude. Use #inshapeattitude on any Instagram post and tag @InShapeClubs in any of your fitness and health photos. Happy Posting and Happy New Year!